Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Showering the Mom-to-be

Jennifer and Kevin have been two of my sister's best friends since high school. In fact, Laura takes credit for setting the two of them up in the first place! They are so excited to welcome their new arrival this fall, and they want the baby's sex to be a surprise.

I was so excited to help Laura come up with a gender-neutral baby shower theme. Jennifer and Kevin have already gotten started on a pale green nursery, so we used that as a jumping-off point. I love all the literal translations of a baby "shower" I've seen lately, so I suggested that as a theme and came up with a little inspiration board.


Another free printable invitation alert! I found the downloadable template on Parents.com via the adorable  Craftiness is Not Optional, where the adorable umbrella/raindrop decorations and custom welcome sign also were.

I liked the idea of my trusty ol' tissue paper poms serving as "clouds" in this case, and I expanded that cloud idea to meringes, white cotton candy, and airy macarons. The pistachio macarons bring us back to the light green theme, which is echoed in the raindrop garland, the green candy buffet, and the bells of Ireland. I added some daisies to bring in a little sunshine. The umbrella and wellie-shaped cookies just made me squeal, so I couldn't not include them.

 
If Laura and her co-hosts want to keep the non-dessert foods in line with the light green motif, accented by some sunny yellow, they're in luck. These two colors actually make for a spread that's not only visually pretty but appetizing as well (as opposed to, say, blue and silver?).  Cucumber water, lemonade, prosciutto-wrapped roasted asparagus, a variety of deviled eggs, cucumber sandwiches, lemon and lime squares (oops, there I go venturing in to desserts again. It can't be helped) would all look and taste divine.

I have some other options for this gender-neutral shower to share later. I can't wait to see which one Laura choses, and I can't wait to meet Jennfier and Kevin's little one!

Don't forget to enter my $50 Paperspring.com giveaway! Remember, there are three ways to enter, and make sure you leave a comment for each method of entry!
Pin It

1 comment:

Jess@craftiness is not optional said...

I don't mind you posting these at all! glad you were inspired! it was a fun shower theme!

thanks! :D